Trip Cancellation Insurance
The primary purpose of trip cancellation insurance is to reimburse you for the cost of your trip in the
event that you are unable to travel or are interrupted during your trip due to circumstances such as a sudden and
unexpected illness or injury, death in the family, job layoff, terrorism or the bankruptcy of the tour operator,
cruise line or airline.
Unlike travel medical insurance which is usually age rated, the
premiums for trip cancellation insurance plans are usually a multiple of the overall price of the trip.
Aside from trip interruption and cancellation, a superior plan should include the following benefits:
- Travel delay - due to such factors as inclement weather, natural disasters and illness
- Baggage and personal possessions - loss and damage
- Baggage delay
- Emergency medical and dental (usually a relatively modest sum)
- Emergency medical evacuation and repartriation
- Emergency reunion - of a family member or return of dependant children to their home country
- Common carrier accidental death and dismemberment
In addition, many trip cancellation insurance plans also have a modest medical insurance benefit.